East and west parts of island are low and centre part is high. The highest peak is Klupca (569m) Island was heavy forested till huge fire destroyed central part between villages Blato and Smokvica (in year 1998).
The chief occupation are farming, grow fruits, fishing, processing of fishes, building of ships and tourism. Coast villages are Lumbarda, Korčula, Racisce and Vela Luka. Inland villages includ Zrnovo, Pupnat, Cara, Smokvica and Blato. Villages are connecting via route. Island is connect with inland and another islands international ferry line Rijeka – Zadar – Split – Stari Grad – Korčula – Sobra – Dubrovnik - Bari and local ferry lines – Split – Mvar – Vela Luka – Uble and Korčula – Orebic. Tourism started to development in Korčula later then in Hvar. In surrounding of island are gusts of wind strong, regardless is Korčula one of the most favorite target of yachts and sailing boats in Adriatic sea. Korčula was peopled in Neolit and Bronze epochs. Island was called Korkyra Melania (black Korčula) in 5th and 6th century BC. Romans changed the name to Corcyra Nigra. Island was changed till became to be part of Venetians republic (1420 – 1798) Island kept its autonomy. Island became to be famous in 14th century by its stone guarry. The most famous guarry are located at islands Kamenjak, Vrnik and Sutvara, which are situated near east coast. Stonemasons from Korčula build lot of architectonic monuments from Kotor to Venetian.